Sunday, August 31, 2008

It was a hit

I understand Milwaukee manager Ned Yost being a little upset that Andy LaRoche's grounder was ruled a single instead of an error. After all, it was the only hit of the game and cost Milwaukee pitcher CC Sabathia a shot at a no-hitter.

But Yost and the Brewers are taking this way too far.

For starters, it was a hit. A close call, yes, but a hit nonetheless. LaRoche runs well enough that he probably beats the throw anyway.

But the Brewers are asking Major League Baseball to overturn the call and retroactively give Sabathia the no-hitter. I'm sorry, do I hear violins playing in the background.

The Pirates rotate four official scorers throughout the season and Bob Webb is at the top of the list among them. He's been doing it for 20 years.

As upset as Yost was, Sabathia was more upset at himself that he didn't make the play and not that it was ruled a base hit.

“The ball was still rolling and I probably should have picked it up with my glove. We probably wouldn’t be having this conversation,” Sabathia said. “I think if I pick it up with my glove, I get him.”

If Sabathia can take it like a man, so should Yost.

No comments: