Wednesday, October 22, 2008

World Series prediction

Everyone else has a World Series prediction, so, here's mine:

I like Philadelphia to win in six, maybe seven, games.

For starters, I think the week's rest will help the Phillies int he long run, especially when it comes to pitching. The Rays have an outstanding starting rotation, and overall I believe it's better than Philadelphia's. But, this postseason has to have taken a toll on their arms. A week's rest at this time of the year is gold for a pitcher's weary arm. I look for two wins out of Cole Hamels, one out of Brett Myers and one from either Jamie Moyer or Joe Blanton. The fact that Moyer and Blanton will play in the bandbox that is Citizen's Bank Park will help them more than it will the Rays.

Despite what the Rays showed in Game 7 against Boston, I think the Phillies' bullpen is also better and deeper. Closer Brad Lidge has been dominant and Ryan Madson right in front of him as been just as good during the postseason. Tampa Bay's patchwork bullpen has been good, but in a tight ninth inning I'll take Lidge over Dan Wheeler and even David Price.

Offensively, I believe that Philadelphia also has an edge. The Phillies have four legitimate power bats in first baseman Ryan Howard, second baseman Chase Utley, shortstop Jimmy Rollins and left fielder Pat Burrell. Add speedy Shane Victorino at the top of the lineup and it's a very strong order. Though I like Carl Crawford and Rocco Baldelli (two guys I covered when they were in rookie ball in Princeton, West Virginia), B.J. Upton has gotten hot at the right time and Evan Longoria has been amazing this postseason, the Phillies have been more consistent and I see that continuing.

It's been an amazing ride for the Rays. Unfortunately, I see that ending without a World Series championship.

No comments: